What You Need to Know About Pelvic CT Scans
If you are experiencing unusual pain in your lower abdomen, it’s important not to ignore it. While some pelvic pain, such as cramping during menstruation, is normal, other pains can be a symptom of many different, and potentially more serious, conditions. Your doctor may order a pelvic CT scan to help determine the cause.
Causes of pelvic pain
Men and women can have pelvic pain for different reasons.
- For women, pain during your period is usually not cause for concern. However, if the pain is severe, it could be a sign of underlying issues. Likewise, abdominal pain that occurs at other times can be a sign of problems with the uterus, ovaries, cervix, fallopian tubes or other organs in the pelvic area.
- For men, abdominal pain can signal a problem with the prostate.
- In both men and women, pain and discomfort in the pelvic area can be associated with the bladder or urinary tract, lower intestines, or rectum, including infection and other conditions.
Pelvic pain might be constant or come and go, and it can range from a dull ache throughout the abdomen to stabbing pains in a certain spot. If you notice pelvic pain that causes you concern, see your healthcare provider. Unusual pain is a sign that something isn’t right, and it’s important to get a diagnosis.
If your doctor has ordered a CT for lower abdominal issues, get results you can trust at a Touchstone Medical Imaging location near you.
What a pelvic CT scan shows
Doctors may use a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis to help diagnose a variety of conditions, including:
- Abdominal aortic aneurysms
- Cirrhosis of the liver
- Crohn’s disease
- Injuries to abdominal organs, including the liver, kidneys and spleen
- Pelvic infections, such as appendicitis and pelvic inflammatory disease
- Ulcerative colitis
Pelvic CT scans can also help doctors diagnose certain cancers. These include:
- Bladder cancer
- Cervical cancer
- Colorectal cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Testicular cancer
What to expect during a CT scan
Getting a pelvic CT scan is usually a quick and painless process. Your technologist will direct you to lie on a table, which will slide into the scanner. An X-ray tube and an electronic X-ray detector will rotate around you, creating detailed cross-sectional images of the area being scanned. You might be asked to hold your breath at times during the scan, as movement can create blurry images. Sometimes, contrast dye is administered prior to the exam, orally or through an IV.
How much does a pelvic CT scan cost?
At Touchstone Medical Imaging, we provide advanced, reliable CT scan services in a caring environment. A pelvic CT scan at Touchstone Medical Imaging may cost up to 60% less than one performed at a hospital. Because we’re in-network with 99% of major insurance plans, we help you avoid high out-of-network charges.
If your doctor has ordered a pelvic CT scan, get results you can trust at a Touchstone Medical Imaging location near you.