What matters most to you? Spending time with family and friends? Enjoying nature? Advancing your career? Find your reason for taking care of your health—and let that reason inspire you to schedule the screenings you need. An annual mammogram screening—an important women’s imaging scan—can help detect breast cancer before you experience any symptoms.
The five-year relative survival rate for breast cancer that has not spread beyond the breast is 99%, according to the American Cancer Society (ACS). Early detection with an annual mammogram can also allow you to take advantage of less invasive forms of treatment, experience fewer side effects and potentially spend less money on treatment compared to a more complex case.
Where should you go for your annual mammogram? Choosing an outpatient center like Touchstone Medical Imaging comes with a variety of advantages, including convenience, leading-edge technology and a caring, patient-friendly environment.
Touchstone Medical Imaging makes it simple to get a mammogram.
When to get an annual screening mammogram
Breast cancer is the most common non-skin cancer in women—and not every woman who develops it is older than 50. For example, a 40-year-old woman has a 1-in-65 chance of developing breast cancer within 10 years, according to the National Cancer Institute.
Breast cancer can develop at any time. Getting screened annually increases your chances of early detection. If you’re at average risk for breast cancer, you should get a yearly mammogram starting at age 40, according to the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN). In fact, insurances cover the costs of an annual mammogram as a routine screening for women starting at age 40.
If you have risk factors for breast cancer, your doctor may recommend starting mammograms at age 30. Risk factors include:
- Breast density
- Certain inherited gene mutations, such as changes to the BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes
- Family history of breast or related cancers
- Personal history of breast disease
- Personal history of radiation therapy to the chest area
Is it time for your annual screening mammogram? Find a Touchstone Medical Imaging center near you. In most cases, a doctor’s order isn’t necessary to schedule your mammogram.
Convenience you can count on for your annual mammogram
Concerned about fitting an annual mammogram into your schedule? Touchstone Medical Imaging makes it easy to find a time that works for you. Just choose the center closest to your workplace or neighborhood and call to schedule your appointment—even if you need a weekend or evening time. We streamline the process so you can complete your scan quickly—and get your results faster.
It’s natural to be a bit anxious about the results of your mammogram. However, most mammograms don’t turn up suspicious findings. If you do need additional testing, such as a diagnostic mammogram, we get you in for the scan quickly so you can put your mind at ease and get back to your normal life.
Technology you can trust
Think you can only find the latest breast imaging technology at hospitals? Think again.
Touchstone Medical Imaging offers the most up-to-date options for advanced breast cancer screening, including:
- 3D mammography. A 3D mammogram can reduce the need for additional testing and improve detection of tumors in women with dense breasts compared with a 2D mammogram. Your doctor may recommend a 3D mammogram, depending on your breast density and other factors.
- Automated breast ultrasound (ABUS). If you have dense breasts, you may need a breast ultrasound in addition to a mammogram. A breast ultrasound uses sound waves to take images of breast tissue, and it may reveal abnormalities that can be difficult to see on a mammogram. A breast ultrasound can also help our board-certified radiologists distinguish between a cyst and a tumor. Compared with handheld ultrasound, ABUS can increase sensitivity by more than 20%.
- Breast MRI. An annual breast MRI, along with an annual screening mammogram, can help improve breast cancer detection in women at high risk. Women with a high risk of breast cancer may wish to start having an annual breast MRI at age 25, according to the NCCN. Abbreviated breast MRI is faster than a conventional breast MRI but can detect cancer with the same level of sensitivity—93%.
These imaging exams complement conventional, 2D mammography and help find more hard-to-detect breast cancers.
A compassionate environment for your annual mammogram
We know the thought of having an annual screening mammogram can be stressful. Touchstone Medical Imaging technologists go the extra mile to make the experience as smooth and hassle-free as possible.
From the moment you arrive at one of our centers, our technologists take the mystery out of your mammogram by answering your questions and telling you exactly what to expect. The technologists will talk you through the scan and, once it’s finished, explain what happens next.
Whether it’s to enjoy a longer life with family and friends or to ensure your own peace of mind, find your reason to schedule a screening mammogram today.
Learn more about mammography and advanced screening mammogram options, including 3D mammography, at Touchstone Medical Imaging. Find a center near you.